Saturday, February 25, 2012

ANTics

One of the many reasons we are lucky to live near the University of Illinois campus: the Insect Fear Film Festival!  The festival, now in its 29th year, is put on by the entomology department grad students.  This is a great kid friendly community event - there are bugs to handle, art to peruse, and movies/shorts/trailers to watch!  This year's theme was International Ant Films.  It was loads of fun, as usual.  I have early memories of attending the festival in my youth - I remember holding a tarantula and eating fried meal worms (they tasted like french fries!).

Here are some of the photos from our evening's adventures:














M sits patiently for face painting.














C sits patiently too!














Finished product - a red ant that C insisted was a spider.















M's finished product - a beautiful butterfly!












Mama with two Lubber Grasshoppers!













Sharing a moment

  

















C expressing his disgust that the hissing cockroach was crawling up my arm.


















Met up with friend O for some laughs.


















We ♥ bugs.

~

1 comment:

  1. I thought about going this year but have been doing so poorly. I hadn't considered that I could just go for the insects and face painting and leave before the actual films start! Maybe if I brought a good picture of a bagworm they would do a bagworm on my cheek. If I am doing well enough, I will do that next year. Holding the Madagascar hissing cockroaches is the best! Great pictures. :-D

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete